Treating a Minor Cut or Scrape
Treating a Minor Burn
First Aid For Bug Bites and Stings
Bug bites come in various shapes and sizes. Since no bug is the same, the same is true for bug bites. Not every bug bite requires a medical examination, or antibiotics, but it is important to have a general checklist for the next time you encounter a bite or sting from a pesky insect.
Contact a doctor or call 911 if you experience an allergic reaction with: hives, abdominal cramps, nausea, swelling of the mouth, throat, or face, difficulty breathing, or shock.
Treating Insect Bites
A non-prescription overdose occurs when an OTC medication is taken above a safe limit and can create a mild or life-threatening situation. OTCs are generally safe when taken as the bottle suggests, but taking more than the recommended dosing can mean trouble. Learn the signs of a non-prescription overdose.
Common OTC overdose medications include: acetaminophen, NSAIDS, Antihistamines, Antitussives, Decongestants, and Expectorants.
Signs & Symptoms of a Mild Overdose:
• Flushed skin or dry mouth
• Stomach pain or nausea
• Ringing in the ears
Signs & Symptoms of a Severe Overdose:
• Fast heart rate
• Vomiting, or vomit with blood
• Constipation or inability to urinate
• Dilated pupils
• Dizziness, drowsiness, trouble breathing, confusion
When individuals overdose on prescription medication, it is always an emergency. Acting fast and without delay can help save someone’s life. In the event of an overdose, call 911 immediately.
Signs of a Prescription Overdose:
Central nervous system depressants (Xanax, Valium): shallow breathing, clammy skin, weak pulse, coma, death.
Hallucinogens (LSD, shrooms): agitation, delirium.
Inhalants (aerosols): loss of consciousness, coma, sudden death.
Marijuana: drowsiness, vomiting, tachycardia.
Opioids: respiratory arrest, cold skin, dilated pupils.
Stimulants: hyperthermia, tachycardia, hypertension, arrhythmia, agitations, hallucinations, cardiovascular emergencies.
Make sure to contact a doctor for mild overdoses, or Poison Control or 911 for any severe or life-threatening overdoses.